Re-released Chocolate Frog Records, CFVP005CD, Sept 2000
The Dick Bros Record Company, released 4th September 1995 (Germany: 28th August 1995)
Promo Cassette UK : No number
Europe & UK: DDick12MC
UK : DDick12CDPROMO
Europe & UK: DDick12CD (PIAS 105.0012.20 – 382P)
USA.: RMED00128 (Renaissance Records, released 10th September 1996)
Japan: PCCY00775 (Pony Canyon)Tracks:01. Lucky (4:55, 1995 Re-recording) [Dick/Boult/Simmonds] Fishy Music Ltd./Hit & Run (Publishing) Ltd.
02. Big Wedge (5:49, 1995 Re-mix of 1990 original) [Dick/Simmonds] Fishy Music Ltd./Hit & Run (Publishing) Ltd.
03. Lady Let It Lie (6:56, 1995 Re-mix of 1994 original) [Dick/Paton/Cassidy] Fishy Music Ltd.
04. Lavender (4:59, 1995 Re-recording) [Dick/Rothery/Kelly/Trewavas/Mosley] Charisma Music Publishing Co Ltd.
05. Credo (6:46, 1995 Re-recording) [Dick/Simmonds/Boult/Usher] Fishy Music Ltd./Hit & Run (Publishing) Ltd.
06. A Gentleman’s Excuse Me (4:16, 1990 Original) [Dick/Simmonds] Fishy Music Ltd./Hit & Run (Publishing) Ltd.
07. Kayleigh (4:10, 1995 Re-recording) [Dick/Rothery/Kelly/Trewavas/Mosley] Charisma Music Publishing Co Ltd.
08. State Of Mind (6:50, 1995 Re-recording) [Dick/Simmonds/Lindes] Copyright Control/Fishy Music Ltd./Hit & Run (Publishing) Ltd.
09. Somebody Special (4:23, 1995 Re-recording) [Dick/Boult/Paton] Fishy Music Ltd.
10. Sugar Mice (6:19, 1995 Re-recording) [Dick/Rothery/Kelly/Trewavas/Mosley] Charisma Music Publishing Co Ltd.
11. Punch And Judy (3:28, 1995 Re-recording) [Dick/Rothery/Kelly/Trewavas/Mosley] Charisma Music Publishing Co Ltd.
12. Fortunes Of War (8:08, 1994 Original) [Dick/Cassidy/Boult] Fishy Music Ltd.
13. Internal Exile (4:48, 1989 Recording not previously released) [Dick/Boult/Simmonds] Fishy Music Ltd./Hit & Run (Publishing) Ltd.
On these albums I’d like to thank EMI Records UK Ltd & Polydor UK Ltd for making this compilation possible.
Special thanks to Penny Ganz, Fin Costello, Neil Hendry, Neil Dalgleish, Judy Totton, Nigel Hassler, Steve Hedges & PTI, Bob Ludwig, Lynda Hill & all at Kick Musik (Germany), Sam Brown, John Taylor, Steve Howe, Capercaille, the SAHBs, Marillion, John Crawley at Hit & Run Music (Publishing) Ltd & everyone at Forth FM.
Extra Special thanks to Frank, Robin, Davie, Foss, ‘Squeaky’ Dave, Mickey, Kevin, James C., Avril, Rob ‘Barney’ Ayling, Robert White, Jeremy Lawson, Kelvin Boys ‘Yatta’ Yates, Andy Williamson, Mark Wilkinson, Moira D McGregor, Steve Pearce & Trish.
Thanks also to Zildjan, Sonor Drums, Peter Bowie, Vince Murray and Jo Sherry for their guitars, Simon Hart at Mesa Boogie, Nigel Spennewyn at Guitar Land (Watford), Sound Control (Edinburgh), Kenny and all at the Tyneside Tavern, Delaney’s Irish Bar, Hard Rock Cafe.
For my wife Tamara, daughter Tara, my mum & dad, sister Laura & Husband Chris, and all the members of the Company without whose support & backing none of this would have been possible – ‘I’ll always have the strength to carry on.’
Fish Information Service ‘The Company’ has independent outlets available in Holland, Germany, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy, Scandanavia, Austria, USA, Australia, Czechland, Poland, South Africa, Argentina & the UK.
There are too many names & too many thankyous to try and contain in a rambling sleeve note. You all know who you are and where you belong in the elaborate scheme that is my career. It’s been a long curve that’s sometimes seemed out of sight, out of control and out of mind. To everyone who’s been involved in the last 15 years I can only say that I remember all the contributions, advice, criticism, guidance, support, input & help both spiritual & physical throughout all the albums & tours that have punctuated my life.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at bob ludgwig’s gateway mastering, Portland, Maine, USA.
Cover Illustration Mark Wilkinson from a concept by Fish.
Photography Fin Costello
Assistant Neil Hendry
Sleeve design Neil Dalgleish
A companion album ‘Yin’ (DDick11CD/MC) is also available featuring 13 tracks including re-recordings and previously unavailable material. Tracks include Incummunicado, Incubus, Time And A Word, Boston Tea Party and Just Good Friends. This compilation p & c 1995 Dick Bros Record Co. Ltd.
Fish, Yin face, Yang face
Everybody remembers the hits of Marillion; Kayleigh and Lavender have flooded the radio waves for many years. But since the end of the 80s, Fish – their former singer – has followed a solo career. After six albums, Fish has decided to make a point. He re-recorded his best titles and released a double compilation – Yin and Yang.
The title refers to the Asian philosophy that states that wherever there’s good, there’s also evil and that in bad times, there’s always a piece of good fortune.
These two compilations are far from ordinary. Fish, on his own, represents the true spirit of Marillion. Whereas the band goes through an identity crisis and constantly reorientates its musical style, Fish stays on the right line that made him the natural leader of technical and progressive rock.
The production is very neat throughout and, with 26 titles including Institution Waltz, Internal Exile and Just Good Friends re-recorded as a duet with Sam Brown, one can experience all the magic of this fabulous singer who handles his art with so much skill. Frederick de Biolley, 4 Feb 1999